As the calendar year begins to wind down again, it’s that time when we begin to think about making New Year resolutions. How about a few New Year resolutions for your home? If a home is where the heart is, then isn’t it time to focus on improvements that can help both in the short and long term?
Make Energy Efficiency a Priority
According to Energy.gov, the average American family spends about $2,000 every year on home energy bills. Leaky windows, inefficient HVAC systems, and inadequate insulation can contribute to drafts in winter and excess interior heat in the summer. Energy.gov offers a wide selection of DIY guides for improving your home’s energy efficiency, from insulating hot water pipes to sealing leaks in air ducts with caulk.
Other ways to improve a home’s energy efficiency include but are not limited to:
- Install solar panels (look for energy tax credits)
- Install storm windows or replace old windows with ones that have a low-E coating
- Seal windows and doors with weatherstripping
- Schedule a professional home energy assessment to determine specific areas with issues
Declutter and Organize
The new year is a great time to declutter and get your home organized. This can seem like an overwhelming project, but it can be easier if broken down into manageable bits. Consider going room by room, tackling one space at a time.
Declutter first, removing things that are no longer needed or that are worn out and broken. Move items that are seasonal or not often used into storage to make more space. After decluttering, get organized. Explore storage solutions online and at your local home improvement stores. In kids’ spaces, colorful baskets, bins, or totes are great ways to get toys and other items off the floor, creating more room for play.
Update to Create a Welcoming Space
If you’ve ever made a resolution to spend more time connecting with family and friends, this is the year to expand upon it. How? It’s time to create a welcoming space—a space where you, your family, and your friends, can all enjoy.
- Create conversation spaces with seating and a coffee table for drinks and snacks
- Add a pop of color to a room with throw pillows and blankets, also ideal for snuggling under during movie night
- Area rugs add warmth and comfort to a room
- Plants and floral arrangements also add warmth and color to a room
- Don’t forget the guest room: soft pillows, a cozy comforter, and ample charging stations for your guests’ favorite devices are must-haves
Budget for Home Service Help
Schedules are busy and sometimes one of the best gifts you can give yourself, and your home is help from professional services. Resolve this year to budget specifically for home service help. There are chores in and around the home that can’t be ignored during the year. Ignoring these chores can compromise the safety of your home, negatively affect its energy efficiency, and even cost you extra money in the long term.
From tree trimming to window and gutter cleaning, there are many services out there to help homeowners just like you. For your windows and gutters, look to United Window Cleaning. We are Cincinnati’s oldest professional window cleaning service, established in 1919. As a family business, we know how important your home is to you and ensure our teams always provide the highest quality service. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.