Spring has sprung! It’s time to get outdoors and finally enjoy a bit of warmer weather after a long winter. As we begin the various seasonal chores, from fertilizing the lawn to breaking out the patio furniture, there’s one that can’t be missed. Spring gutter cleaning is essential because clogged gutters can cause serious (and expensive) damage to your home.
Why Do Gutters Get Clogged?
Twigs and leaves are the main causes of clogs in rain gutters. Even if your property doesn’t have any trees, this type of natural debris can collect and cause problems. Leaves, twigs of all sizes, and seed pods are deposited into gutters by wind, storms, birds, and even small animals. Birds and small animals can build nests in your gutters, creating a clog that stops the flow of water. If these nests and other debris aren’t removed, costly damage can occur.
Types of Damage from Clogged Gutters
The purpose of the gutter is to catch run-off water from the roof and funnel it into the downspout where it then flows away from house. Clogged gutters cause multiple problems.
- When overloaded with debris, the extra weight can make the gutters pull away from the house, damaging soffits and fascia boards
- Water that doesn’t divert away destroys landscaping and pools at the foundation, seeping into basements and crawl spaces
- Water in basement and crawl spaces leads to mold and other issues
- Pooled water also can be a factor in foundation damage, in particular cracks
- Overflow from the clogged gutter runs down the side of the house and damages windows and siding, warping and rotting wood
- Overflow also can cause water back-up under shingles leading to roof damage and water/moisture in the attic
How Often Should Gutters Be Cleaned?
On average, a home’s gutters need to be cleaned at least twice a year, usually in the fall and in the spring. When it’s time to change the clocks, it’s time to clean the gutters. However, if your property has many trees or it’s close to another lot that’s heavily wooded, it’s likely you’ll need gutter cleaning more than twice annually.
If your spring already is too booked with activities, chores, and other must-do items, it’s okay. United Window Cleaning has you covered for gutter cleaning. A professional gutter-cleaning service offers many advantages. Not only does it save you time, but it’ll keep you safe. Rely on the professionals and you don’t have to climb ladders or deal with any vermin that may be nesting in the gutters.
Professional gutter cleaning teams like United have the right equipment and are fully trained to get the job done right the first time. Don’t put off gutter cleaning. Contact United Window Cleaning today to schedule an appointment and you can cross this chore off your spring to-do list.